Keep your cats, dogs, and children safe by fighting ants with natural, household products. Leave the chemicals in the labs.
Like most people, Spring means more around our house than March Madness, planning flower beds, and welcoming baseball back. It means it’s time to go to war against invading ants. For those of us with pets and/or children in the house, we’re always looking for ways to arm ourselves naturally. Fortunately, getting rid of ants naturally can be done.
Below are commonly used methods for fighting ants naturally:
- Dust baby powder directly onto ants and around the places they enter your home.
- Wash the areas they travel (their little ant highways!) with a 50-50 combination of white vinegar and water. It masks the smell ants need to navigate.
- Sprinkle cayenne pepper around their entries
- Place bay leaves or cloves where ants enter your home.
- Draw a line with chalk across the place they enter your home.
- Coffee grounds repel ants (no accounting for taste), so dust coffee grounds around areas you frequently see ants.
- In addition to cayenne pepper, bay leaves, coffee grounds, and cloves, ants are also turned away by cinnamon, mint, black pepper, and chili pepper.
- Citrus peels and cucumber peels smell great to us but they repel ants. I’ve used both with miraculous results.
Photo: The beauties in the picture are Adam and Alexa!