Keeping indoor cats active (mentally and physically) is one of the healthiest things we can do for them. Outdoor cats have an ever-changing environment. While the outdoors is a much more dangerous place for an animal to live, it can be infinitely more interesting and stimulating. After all, one never knows what you’re going to see outside, whereas the indoors (while safe and climate controlled) can be monotonous for the most curious animal in the world!
BUT, this can be easily taken care of by providing your curious little inside baby with plenty of newness and change – which always fascinates a cat.
- With my inside cats, over the years, I have always had a system in place where I frequently “trade out” toys. I’ll put a few toys “away” for a few weeks, while old favorites are brought back out.
- I often buy my inside cat (Alexa) a new toy. She knows that when I come home with several bags in tow, one of them holds something for her. She scrutinizes each bag like a two-year old!
- I place her toys in different spots throughout the house. I leave her VERY favorite toys where she leaves them, after all I don’t want to stress her out or get myself in trouble – but I’ll frequently place a ball, toy mouse, or other toy in spots to catch her off guard.
- Many cat parents believe their cats have “outgrown” playing when, truth be told, they’re simply bored with the status quo. Mix things up! Boredom for a cat is as dangerous and uncomfortable as stress is for a human.
- A little experimenting will help you discover what your cat’s favorite types of toys are. Some prefer toy mice while others barely glance at a toy mouse but will go gaga over a ball. Catnip toys are almost always a hit – however, the catnip does kind of “wear off,” which means you have to replace the toy after a while.
- ALWAYS be certain that the toys are safe. Frequently inspect them for anything and everything that could pose a danger to your cat… loose parts, for example that could potentially choke them.
- Get down on the floor with them and play! I’ll let you in on a secret… it’s as good for you as it is for them!
- This may fall under the category of “crazy cat lady,” but I’ve never let that stop me before: When you’re reading, sorting coupons, writing, etc.. either lift your cat so she/he can supervise you or get down on their level. What’s mundane to us can be utterly fascinating to a cat. Alexa is mesmerized by writing. She’ll concede to watch for a while, then inevitably will reach the point where she can’t take the temptation any longer… then. whoosh!, she starts swatting wildly at the pen.
A few unique and utterly “fascinating” to a cat products are shown below. Remember, a cat LOVES it when you mix things up. When he/she walks into a room and sees something unexpected, it’s as though they’re a kitten again.
THAT, fellow cat lovers, is always my goal with my babies.
This Cat Scratcher provides your cat with an interactive scratch toy, this unique swirly shape toy is designed to promote curiosity and expand interaction. It features a carved hole and attached hanging teaser to keep your curious cat entertained and amused. The top surface is covered with natural sisal mat, a material known for its long lasting endurance.
The PetPals Cat Scratcher is available on PETSMART’s website, which means you can either have it shipped to your home or arrange for “Free Store Pickup” (where available). Click through for more information!
Also From PETSMART:
PetPals Cat Scratcher
Pioneer Pet SmartCat Bootsies Cat Scratcher
Catit Style Scratching Board Cat Scratcher
Grreat Choice 4 Pack Catty Stacks Cat House