My Mouse Pad is officially Prissy free, for now, so I’ll try to finish up yesterday’s post!
- Touch. Due to arthritis, an older cat may be very sensitive, so she should be handled with care. If she has begun to his or bite when picked up or handled, don’t take it personally – it simply may hurt and she knows of no other way to react. If she has lost weight, you have to be very careful and gentle as there will be bones protruding.
We also have to be extra careful when grooming an older cat. It would be a good idea to switch to a much softer brush, and to go about the procedure more gently than ever.
I’ve noticed that everyone in our household handles Prissy like fine china. She’s quite taken with the whole thing.
Here are some other great tips the book recommended:
- Older cats aren’t as fastidious about cleaning themselves as they once were. Help her out by (softly) brushing her each day.
- Elderly catslove to sleep in the sun’s rays, so provide a comfortable spot near a sunny window.
- Keep her away from drafts.
- Be very tolerant of an older cat’s litter box habits. It’s totally a hit and miss thing. Low-sided boxes are best, and unless you live in a really small house, several litter boxes would be a great idea.
- Have your cat examined by the vet several times a year.
- Use Spring or distilled water only.
- If your cat used to jump onto a favorite spot that she’s no longer able to get to on her own, provide her with some steps or even a few pillows.
- You may find you older cat seeking you out more than she once did. (Like lying right on a mouse pad!) This is the time to give her the comfort and security she’s looking for. Let her curl up in your lap, greeting her with warmth in your voice and show her just how much she’s loved and cherished. I’ve found that with Prissy, the time benefits me as much as it does her. It’s the perfect way to relax and unwind!
- You may notice that your cat has started calling out for you, especially at night. She may just be a little disoriented, wondering, “Where did everybody go?” Then again, she may just want a little bit more of that extra attention she’s coming to love so much!