We pet lovers all know that chocolate is a big NO NO for cats and dogs. It can be a deadly treat. (The chemical methylxantine is toxic and in high doses can cause abnormal heartbeats, seizures and death.) I’ve heard the same thing about onions, although I don’t know if it’s been proven. I’d rather be too safe than forever sorry, though, so I’ve never allowed any of my cats and dogs to have onions.
I just read an article this morning that detailed the dangers of sugar free gum and many sugar free snacks for dogs. Needless to say, I’d keep them away from cats and other pets as well.
From Paw Nation:
The culprit is a sweetener called xylitol. While you may never have heard of it, there’s a good chance you have it in your house. Xylitol is common in sugarless gum and in sugar-free snacks, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Cases of xylitol poisoning in dogs have increased in recent years as the sweetener has been added to lots of new foods, Sharon Gwaltney-Brant, vice president of the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center, told Paw Nation. “There definitely has been an increase in the exposures of dogs to xylitol over the last several years, simply because there’s more xylitol out there.”
Read the rest HERE.